Monday 23 January 2012

Spare Parts

The final list of suitable spare parts has been one I have pondered over for more than a year now. I think my biggest concern is punctures or a broken windscreen rather than a breakdown. Treated right, the little car is pretty reliable so I do not anticipate major problems.   


I have had the top end of the engine rebuilt (it only has 55,000 miles on it), with new gaskets, water pump and hoses.  It has a new clutch and bearings.  All the bushings, ball joints and bearings are new, tyres are new, radiator and hoses are new.  So I do not anticipate any problems from any of them.  However, should anything need replacing, I am comfortable in my ability to mend it / replace it myself, although a wheel bearing may need some outside help !

So basically I am working on the principle that if I do need any parts,  I can get them from EliseParts in the UK within 2-3 days, and as I have no great time restraints on my trip, or deadlines to meet, that will not cause any problem – I will just find the nearest bar to sit in, or local sights to see, until the parts arrive.

So what am I carrying ?  Well, I have shrunk the list down to the following :-
·         1 ton scissor jack, so I can get a wheel off on the road if I need to. Light and takes up little space.
·         Ball joint splitter
·         Ball Joint removal tool
·         2 x wheel bearings
·         1 x ball joint
·         Warning triangle
·         1 litre oil
·         1 litre coolant
·         Roll of double sided tape
·         Roll of duct tape
·         Roll of electrical tape
·         Plenty of zip ties
·         Rain-X
·         Assorted spanners, sockets, screw drivers, allen keys only as required to suit nuts and bolts on Elise, including 19 mm socket for wheel nuts and one good Leatherman tool.
·         Small mirror for seeing in difficult places !
·         Small torch
·         Hammer
·         Assorted spare clips, washers, screws, hose clamps, cant rail clips, one spark plug, one wheel nut.
·         2 x inner tubes for emergencies.
·         Tyre plug repair kit, with extra packet of plugs.
·         3 x new cans of puncture repair gunk.
·         I Eliseparts shower cap
·         Small first First aid kit (including mosquito and bear repellant)


And in Anacortes W.A., before I push into Canada and the dirt roads of the Klondike and Dalton Highways, I will be fitting windscreen tearoffs from here  http://www.shop.protint.com/product.sc?productId=181&categoryId=120

These will not be used as tearoffs, but as a form of additional protection for the windscreen, and will hopefully reduce the impact of smaller stone chips and windscreen damage.

For punctures, I will have the tyre gunk, and the plug kits, both of which I am well aware are only “get you to the nearest tyre store” place, but they are usable on the roadside. And if I seriously damage a tyre, then I have the jack and can take the wheel off and hitch a ride to the next mechanic garage. If necessary one of my spare inner tubes can be fitted, or whatever else is necessary.