Sunday 25 December 2011

Australia Last Minute Jobs

Well, its Boxing Day now, and while there is no longer anything major to do to Elsie, small things keep rearing their heads, as I am sure they will continue to do as long as I have the car here !  Once it is loaded on the boat, it will be too late.


Delivery to the docks in Brisbane has now slipped until the 3rd January, although the vessel's ETA Long Beach is still 21st Feb, but if that slips a few days I will not be upset !  I must admit I do wonder how the person loading the car on the boat is going to get in and out of the car with the roof on, especially if he is a “large framed” shipping type !!!   And the only other thing I am wondering about is how well the (new) battery will survive 45 days on the boat.  It might just survive without going flat, but as I don’t have a battery isolation switch (is that something that in hindsight I should have fitted ?!), if it does go flat, how will they get the car off the boat at the other end ?  Oh well, I guess that is not my problem !! But I will make sure that the battery is put on trickle charge for the full day just before the car is delivered to the docks.

 In the last few days I have done a bunch of small things :-

·         Took the undertrays off so the rear view camera could be wired up. I was given this by my 3 wonderful children for Christmas because with the boot box in place on the back I can’t see anything in the rear view mirror, and I know I will feel a lot more comfortable when on the wrong side of the road or in Los Angeles type traffic if I can see what is behind, so this seemed like a great solution, and I am very happy with the outcome.  It has been wired in with an on/off switch so if not required I can turn it off, and also so it can be unplugged and removed from the car if needs be so minimize any temptation for theft.


·        




      While the undertrays were off, I did the last oil change, putting in 5W/40 Castrol Edge, and a new filter.  Will be carrying one filter and sump plug washer as I will change the oil and filter in Anacortes when I get there in April, before I push North into Canada and Alaska.

·         Cleaned and re-oiled the air filter.  Will clean and re-oil this again in Anacortes as well, unless it is exceptionally dusty anywhere, but am not anticipating this in the damp and cold of Spring time.

·         Gave another waterproofing spray to the soft top, and lubricated the cam mechanism in the tails as I am sure the roof is going to be removed and put on again many times over the coming months !

·         The internal supports to counteract the weight of the boot rack on the rear clam were also fitted and snugged up to apply pressure up under the rear pads of the boot rack.  I have used the boot rack extensively both in Europe and here in Aus, and fine cracks were starting to appear in the gel coat around the edge of the rear aero winglet, caused by the continual flexing of the top of the clam. These supports are designed to mount on the longerons and apply an equal pressure upwards directly below the point where the rack sits on the clam.  They appear to be somewhat overkill engineering wise compared to what I had envisaged, but now they are in and fitted, they appear excellent, and more importantly take up minimal space in the boot.  Their justification will only be proved as the trip progresses.

·         I have also completely washed  the wheels themselves, and inside the wheel arches in order to satisfy customs requirements. It never hurts to at least make it all look spick and span under there.

Now I am just waiting for all the stickers to be applied on 28th Jan, and that will be it.  I can’t do any more!