Wednesday 4 April 2012

Missoula MT to Richland WA

Long day ahead over a supposedly scenic route over the Bitterroot and Clearwater Mountain ranges south west to beyond Walla Walla  - some 400 + miles.  Rain had been forecast, but while packing the car, the black clouds suddenly disappeared, so the roof was quickly removed, and we set off out of Missoula.  About 3 deg C, and at about 1000 metres altitude, so rugged up well for a day in the mountains !  Filled up with gas and once out of town, the road was gently rolling and zig zagging beside a river, surrounded by farming country - A great start to the morning !


The road started climbing gently, and the farmland gave way to fir trees in the start of the Clearwater National Forest.  Soon snow appeared, although the temp had warmed up to 7 or 8 deg outside, and we continued to climb steadily. Very soon snow banks of 6 or 8 feet were right at the edge of the road, and these continued as we climbed. 
But a beautiful road, in mostly good condition considering the weather, with sweeping corners that just flowed together nicely.  And no traffic at all !!  We passed the summit with no problems and started down the other side - max of about 1700 m -  still in beautiful blue sky. Signs warning of a "Winding Road next 99 miles" brought  a smile to my face - Lotus country !!! 

As we dropped, the snow quickly disappeared and the country opened up again, with the ever present river always flowing beside us, and graduulally getting bigger and bigger.

For about half an hour it almost got boring - just good sweeping corners, river raging beside us, the occasonal deer running across the road, and a blue sunny sky. At one stage an eagle of some description swooped directly over me to grab something off the cliff above my head - I took a photo but got nothing but blue sky !!   And then the temp started to drop at the same time as fierce dark clouds suddenly blackened the sky - I quickly realised we were in for a change and stopped to put the roof on.  By the time the roof was on, it was snowing heavily and suddenly very cold as a strong wind came up with the storm. This then continued for maybe an hour as we would across the second mountain range, the Clearwater Mountains.  But the snow only enhanced the drive, making it a magical trip throught the forest.  At one stage the road was almost blocked by a huge tree that had obviously only just fallen due to the high winds, but I managed to weave my way through.
After that, the scenery started to change dramatically, opening up into rolling hills, but still with the road winding through them as if it was deterimined to keep winding for every one of the 99 miles that the earlier sign had announced !!  At one stage we ran on a bigger road beside the now enormous river for about 40 miles or more, and it was just a stunning drive hugging the river banks, even though it was now raining quite heavily.  And still relatively little traffic.
Eventually much flatter countryside as we neared Walla Walla and then into Richland, where I arrived at about 4.45 pm (having gained an hour in a time change), so some 8 hours of solid driving apart from a couple of fuel stops.  Staying with Reed Figley who had been put in touch with me by other Lotus people in Seattle, we went off to meet other members of the Strictly British Motor Club at a pub.  Whilst still in the car park some members of the local Police Force pulled up for some functon they were having, so I quickly asked them if they had any local Police badges or stickers I could add to my collection - and they gave me a couple !!   We also had to compare one of the few S1 Elises currently registered in the US (Don't ask !!!) - an S160 with the VVC engine !!  Then it was inside for a beer and a feed while we chatted about my trip, and some of the adventures I had already had, as well as some of the local activity.  Once again, it was great meeting more people who had come out to welcome me despite it being mid week and raining - I continue to be overcome by the welcome I am given and kindness I am shown as I travel around the country.  Thank you everyone who came.

Tomorrow morning I am going to try to fix my squealing brakes - So it is an early morning and see if I can get it done quickly so I can get on my way to Portland before noon.  I will report on that tomorrow !

Photos of today are here - Suggest you just scroll through them quickly as they all look much the same - Winding roads through forest !!   You had to be there to really get a feel for what I think must go down s one of the great roads that has to be driven just for the sheer fun of it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/MissoulaMTTpRichlandWA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzs7pS_z-PfuAE#