Tuesday 3 April 2012

Yellowstone NP to Missoula, MT

Another cold morning in Yellowstone - minus4 deg C when I went down to pack the car - but no snow or rain - Just clear clue skies :-)
Found a note stuck on the side of the car offering me "a free cup of tea" when I got to Anacortes, signed  "A fellow Aussie".  They had seen "Anacortes" written on my box as one of my destinations, and as they lived there had asked me to visit.  Actually met them over breakfast, lovely couple Joe and Eileen and he is a keen fisherman, so they amended the invitation to "eat some prawns".  As they live not far from my sister, I shall make sure I find them !
In the mean time, off to Missoula, Montana.......


I rugged up well and the morning drive out on Hwy 89 up to Livingston was an absolute joy, driving along the gently winding road beside the river, with snowcapped mountains in front and behind.  On mornings like this, it would be a sin to have the roof on, and just cruising at about 55 mph with the heater on medium, the music on high, and a cup of hot earl grey in your thermo cup to keep you warm on the inside - What a perfect way to start the day.
Unfortunately there was no choice but to take I 90 towards Butte.  My original route hoped to avoid it but closures of some roads due to snow meant there was no way to get across the mountains onto the "good" roads !!   But I 90 is not such a bad freeway, with lots of rolling hills and cuttings,  and always, ahead and to the left, the continuous view of snow capped peaks in the distance to entice you onwards in the hope of reaching them.  With a speed limit of 75 mph, most people seem to do 80 or so, but I usually sit on about 60 because I am not in a hurry, and the views are so good.  Additionally one usually has to wave back or smile at every other car that passes as they wave or take a pic with their phone , so you can't be driving at 10/10ths !!

Had to laugh when I saw a sign to "Cardwell" just before Butte - My sister in law lives in Cardwell Queensland (FNQ) and it could not be more different a location from this one !!
Coming into Butte, the over riding impression is of the massive quarry wall that completely dominates the NW end of town, making it look as though the town is built in a quarry.   I was later to find out that Butte exists solely because of the local mining in the past, primarily of copper, and indeed has always been noted for having the mine almost in the middle of town !

By now I had had enough of the freeway, and I could at last get onto one of the original B roads I had chosen months ago before I thought of winter snow restrictions.  So immediately after Butte, when the freeway turned north,  I continued west on Hwy 1 towards Anaconda and Georgetown, then north to Philipsburg and Drummond.   At Georgetown I was stunned to see a massive lake that was still totally frozen solid despite the relatively mild winter and current air temps of around 15 deg C, as well as a fairly strong sun due to the clear air at a height of some 4500 ft above sea level.  The lake went on for miles, and I later learned it is a big ice fishing location in the winter - No one out there today so perhaps the ice is starting to get too thin for safety !  The large expanse of pure white was very impressive visually, and there was still quite a lot of ski activity evident in the surrounding area, based on the number of cars with equipment on their racks.  Excellent drive through there, with winding gorges and a well surfaced road, before having to go back onto I 90 for the final run into Missoula.  But even that was a great road, and I decided to go with the flow for the last 40 miles or so, and upped my speed to 75 mph to match the others, and had a most enjoyable run into Missoula, all the more enjoyable because the predicted rain had held off, and thus the roof spent another day packed in its bag.

I had again booked into a motel because of the predicted rain - It is hard not to book ahead on the internet because the motel rates are so much better when booked in advance.  The rain is still predicted for tomorrow as I start to head west, but we will wait and see what the morning brings.

In the mean time, as soon as I had checked in, I rushed off to find the Sheriff's office before it closed, because I had met Carl Ibsen, the Sheriff of Missoula County when in Zion National Park about 10 days ago, and he had said to drop by when I passed through Missoula - And not having ever been in a Sheriff's office before, it was on the "must do" list !!  Luckily I caught him just before he left, and he showed me around his offices and introduced me to many of his officers.  Nice to meet you all !!  Then Sheriff Carl kindly invited me to join him for dinner and we went out for a delicious meal, and a great evening chatting about just about everything.  After our meal, he took me in his VERY big truck up to the top of the hills above the city, and pointed out all the surrounding mountains and landmarks.(Carl's truck is a dual cab with a tray, and I reckon Elsie would fit in the tray at the back and not much would be hanging out behind !!)  Thanks for a great evening Carl, it was good to see you again.  Keep in touch and I will look forward to meeting again somewhere - Maybe in Australia !
Tomorrow I will leave Montana, and I have to say I have really enjoyed what I have seen of the State and its people. I know it is much flatter further east, but this western half has really impressed me with its beauty.  In the morning I will be crossing the Bitterroot and Clearwater mountain ranges on scenic route 12, down to the top of Oregon / bottom corner of Washington.  Hopefully it will stay fine enough for the roof to be off while I cross the mountains as it is said to be a stunning drive.

Pics of today here:- https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/YellowstoneToMissoulaMT?authkey=Gv1sRgCPzY-Ibkl9KBRg#