Sunday 17 June 2012

068 Dawson City to Whitehorse


Slept right through til 7 am this morning ! That’s a first – I must be getting used to this permanent daylight !   Had a lazy Saturday in Dawson, and then today drove from Dawson City to Whitehorse – Nothing stunning, but a really pleasant days drive – Made even better by having some new Moody Blues CD’s to listen to that I had forgotten about !  Oh, and I found a packet (edible) of Wine Gums at last (although most of them were green ones L ), so a good day was assured.  The fact that the scenery was great only made it, well,……..better !!!


Yesterday (Saturday) was a lazy day in Dawson.  It was a fine morning, and I went down to the 1st ever Top of the World Highland Games (!!) that were being held, but they didn’t look overly exciting, so I spent most of the morning washing the grime and mud from yesterday’s Top of the World Highway drive off the car – It was so bad I couldn’t even get in the car without getting filthy !! By the time I had done that, and a bit of sewing of my car shower cape which was starting to suffer from frequent use, and caught up on a few other things, it was lunch time.  So I walked back in to the Highland Games which had picked up a little, and spent the afternoon watching a few Canadians with Scottish names wearing kilts toss cabers and throw weights over bars.  Of course there were the obligatory pipe bands from various Provinces doing their thing – It was actually quite a pleasant way to spend the afternoon, especially since it didn’t rain all afternoon !!

Once they had wrapped the Games up, I went into town and did some grocery shopping for my journey tomorrow to Whitehorse, and then took myself on a walking tour of the town, using a guide published by the Information Centre.  I have done this in a few places now, and it is really fascinating seeing some of the original houses from 1898 and the Gold Rush not only still existing, but in a couple of instances still being used !  Unfortunately in the early days they didn’t realise that if you built on permafrost, and then heated the house, the permafrost would eventually thaw and your house would start to sink into the ground ! I saw evidence of this in Siberia when I was working in Russia, and it was the same here.  So some of the building can be seen in the photos to be at very odd angles – Including St Andrew’s Church which I put in for family reasons because my Dad used to be the Vicar of St Andrew’s Church in Plymouth in the UK, (If any of you were wondering !!).

When I parked in town, I was chatting to some people who had gathered round the car and 3 local lads came up on their bikes – wanting to know if any of us were tourists !!  Turned out they were on a treasure hunt for school and one item they had to get was a photo of a foreign $50 bill – So I found an Aussie one which they duly took a photo of and went off happy.  Hope you won, guys !!!

And apart from the main road around the edge of town, which is actually the Klondike Highway, none of the other roads in town are tarmac – They are all still dirt with wooden sidewalks to keep you out of the mud !  Skagway had the wooden sidewalks, but their roads were tarmac – Dawson City really is just like it used to be !!  And yes, I did go and investigate the Sour Toe, Ian, and decided that I really did not need that experience !!!  Ha ha.

At the end of my about 2 hour walk around town, I ended up (on purpose !) at a local restaurant serving halibut and chips !  I just didn’t feel like another can of stew again, so splashed out on the halibut and a couple of beers.  And very nice they were too !!  I then drove home just as it started to rain – and just next to where they had held the Highland Games I had noticed a sign up a side road with a picture of a camera on it denoting “Scenic”.  So up I went and it was great – about 10 miles that were almost as good as Pikes Peak in Colorado !!  Well, it was raining, so I had to go fast so I didn’t get wet !!!   Rofl.    By the time I got to the top it was pouring, so I quickly put the roof on, took a couple of photos of what would normally be a gorgeous view down over the whole of Dawson and the Yukon River, and then went back down the hill to the campsite in the rain !!  And straight into my tent and to bed  – Not much else you can do when it is raining !

As I say, woke up later than usual this morning, and the rain had stopped, although the tent was wet so it took longer than usual to get the worst of the water off, and get packed up.  A couple from Quebec came over as I was packing up, and I found my French was a little rustier than I thought !! By the time I was ready to go at about 10, the sun was actually out, so off came the roof ! (Duh !).  While coming back from my shower I got chatting to a couple of Harley riding guys from Kansas, Gerry and Tony, who were just leaving and heading the same way. And so off south down the Klondike Highway – I felt really good this morning, aided by the Moody Blues and the wine gums, and with the roof off, it was a great start to the day.

The first part of the road had lots of gravel piles beside the road, and it took me a while to realise that they were the remnants of Gold Dredging all along the river beside the road !   You forget just how real, and indeed ongoing, the search for gold is – Especially at current prices !  It isn’t just something that finished in 1910 – people go searching for gold at weekends here as a hobby.   A little later I came upon a bridge under repair with traffic lights directing the traffic (what traffic ?? Rofl!)  Despite the lack of anything coming the other way (or even going my way !!), I was fascinated by the fact that there was a timer under the lights, which told you how long it would be till the light turned green – Which was the first time I have ever seen that, and thought was jolly decent of them !!  It counted down (was about 120 seconds when I got there), and sure enough when it hit 0, the lights went green !!  They should have those at ALL road works so at least you know whether you have tome for a sandwich before the light goes green !!   Very impressed – Doubly so considering the location for this masterpiece of technology !  (Ie the middle of no where, powered by a solar panel !!)

Then we passed the turn off to the Dempster Highway – The “other” way of getting to the Arctic Circle in Alaska.  But it is all dirt, and is some 400 miles to the circle, so not on my agenda this time, although if I came back in a more suitable vehicle, it would definitely be on the route, with a trip up to the village of Inuvik much talked about as worthwhile.

Shortly after that I saw my first Lynx cross the road in front of me – Naturally the camera was off, so by the time I was ready, it was gone.   But definitely a lynx.   About 15 minutes later another one ! Same result !   Then I stopped at a layby with a view, and found as sign telling me that this valley was called the Tintina Trench, and for thousands of years has formed  an avenue through which a lot of wildlife migrates through the area – And is particularly known for its large Lynx population !!!   So that justified my sightings !!

All along the road, it is getting so lush and green now as it warms up.  And alongside the road today was an almost continuous garden of wildflowers, as though someone had been out and planted them.  Mostly purple, and according to a pamphlet I got, it is Bear Root or Indian Potato.  But yellow (mostly dandelions) and others as well, making an almost endless flower garden beside the road.  Very different from the snow, ice, and nothing that was beside the road here when I went north 6 weeks ago !!

After a while Tony and Gerry caught me up on their bikes (they must have stopped for gas because they left before I did  ?) and for a while we went in convoy, weaving through the frost heave and bad spots on the rod (all very well marked – You just don’t know how bad each will be !!).  They then turned off at Moose Creek, while I continued on.

I think it was after the Mayo turn off that the black clouds started to look ominous, so eventually I decided to put the roof on – And once again I was just in time, as not 5 minutes later I was in a big downpour !  Alaskan / Yukon weather is VERY unpredictable, but I am starting to get quite good at working out when the rain is just a shower, or when it really is going to be a serious cloudburst !  Nice to be good at something for a change !!.

The Stewart crossing over the (surprise) Stewart River, and then the Pelly crossing were both over fine bridges, and then after that we came back beside the much bigger Yukon River again, and travelled beside it as far as Five Finger Rapids.  This was a big signed Layby, so I pulled over and found it entailed a round trip hike of about an hour, down a long steep stair case down the side of the mountain initially, and then a hike on a narrow trail through the woods.  But I needed the exercise so set off, with my car about the only car in the car park.  Nice hike, and the Five Finger Rapids are quite special – the river being divided into 5 channels by rock formations, and naturally the water flows a lot faster through these restricted openings.  Apparently until about 1910, the paddle steamers didn’t have enough power to get through here, so they had to winch them through, and a number of vessels smashed on the rocks and sank !  Eventually in about 1910, they dynamited some of the rocks to make one channel about 20 ft wider, and this slowed down the speed of the river through there, thus enabling most paddle steamers to make it through without winching.  Still incredible to see and understand yet another of the challenges the prospectors had to go through to get up the Yukon River to the gold fields.

After that, the land was more rolling hills and forest – nothing startling, but very pleasant, and there were frequent heavy rain showers alternating with sunshine which served to keep one concentrating – it is far harder to pick the road conditions and severity of the frost heave when the road surface is wet.  Fox Lake was impressive enough, but for much of the last 40 kms into Whitehorse we ran along beside the enormous Lake Laberge.  And although much of the snow on the mountains has now melted, it was nice to see a few snow covered peaks again in the distance – Presumably this is the southern end of the Kluane National Park, and then the Chilkat Mountains which formed the backdrop for the stunning drive north I had a few weeks ago when I drove from Haines to Haines Junction. 

Saw no other wildlife all day – Apart from ground squirrels scampering across the road at regular intervals.  People on their way north that I have met in the Whitehorse campsite tonight say they have seen quite a few bears and moose today,  so hopefully tomorrow will see a little more action on the animal front !!

Dropping down the last 20 kms into Whitehorse, the temperature increased quite quickly, and by the time I was in the campsite I had to take off all my thermals which I seem to have been wearing non stop for the past 3 ½ months !!  Is summer really here at last ?   Hmmm – We shall see – Right now, it is raining !!  But the campsite has a great little open but covered area with an open fire, and old couches and chairs, where I can sit in the warm and dry and do my blog !!  Excellent facility !!  It was closed when I came through before, but is actually not only one of the nicer sites, but also the cheapest, and focusses total on tents – No RV’s at all, so we are not treated like second class citizens like at some RV places where they stick the tent area on gravel down near the toilets !!

Tomorrow I will head towards Watson Lake on the Alcan – I travelled part of this road on the way north, but it was raining and pretty miserable, so hopefully we will get some sun, views, ad wildlife tomorrow !!