Monday 18 June 2012

Whitehorse to Watson Lake YT


It has been wet !   Probably the easiest way to put it.  I just got the tent pitched in Whitehorse last night, and then it started raining, and it rained most of the night.  Luckily I woke up at 6 am this morning and found it had stopped for a moment, but I could see more black clouds coming, so I got everything packed up by 7 am, and then the rain started again !  It then rained off and on all day while driving, and then in Watson Lake tonight I just got the tent pitched before the heavens opened again – This time a full blown thunder storm, the first thunder I have heard in this part of the world, although apparently thunderstorms are quite common in the summer.  So the pictures today are mostly of rain clouds and wet roads – Not very exciting.  I drove this section of road some 6 weeks ago, and I have to say this country is more interesting to me when it is snow covered and cold – I just do not find the summer greenery to be as dramatic.  There are also a lot more people, and a lot more mosquitoes at this time of year !!!



The campsite in Whitehorse was really good, with a nice area to sit around a fire under cover, and good wifi.  But this morning when I went to check weather and road conditions before I started, the wifi was not working, and no one seemed too keen to do anything about it.  So I went into Starbucks in town, in the pouring rain, and theirs was having problems too !  I have found out that wifi in Alaska is a known problem because they only have one provider up here, and due to cabling restrictions there is limited bandwidth available.  This is why skype quality is so poor up here – apparently it takes up a lot of  bandwidth, especially if you have the video on.  (I am not a techy, but it is something like this.)  Anyway, so left Whitehorse a little frustrated, in the pouring rain, and of course sitting around in the rain is not much fun for the Elise as it starts to drip over the sills when you get in and out !!

Once underway, it did get better though.  The drips stopped, and eventually the sun came out, although it was to rain and sun alternately most of the day, with some very dramatic and very black  rain clouds occasionally. I think this is probably the most boring section of the Alcan Highway, with no dramatic mountain peaks, and at this time of year very little snow. But “boring” is relative, because it is still a pretty interesting road when compared to normal roads we drive on every day !!!  Also no wildlife seen at all by me today – so hopefully this will change tomorrow as the next section has been getting a lot of sightings of moose and bear.

 Just before I stopped in a lay by to make myself a sandwich for lunch, I was feeling around on the passenger seat trying to find my wine gums under a pile of things – And I put my hand in a puddle of water !!   In the seat !!!  So when I stopped for lunch I investigated the cause as I was worried the car had sprung a leak in all the rain.  But it turned out that the mouthpiece on my Camelback water bag, which sits behind the passenger seat so I can get a drink of water whenever I want, the squishy mouth piece had somehow come off the tube, so all the water in the bag had flowed into the seat ! So I had to clean that up, and dry out everything that had got wet on the seat – Which is why in a couple of the photos you see my gloves up on the dashboard trying to dry in the warm,becase they were underwater !!


The washout caused by the rain and snow melt causing the river to flash flood near Rancheria has been partially fixed and is now a one lane road, but we had no delays coming south at all, so traffic is flowing pretty freely.  Good job I wasn’t here this time last week when the road was closed for several days !  But you can see all the tree trunks and other debris beside the road, so it was quite a major flood that caused the damage.  http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/18936146/article-Alaska-Highway-slowly-reopening-after-washout-in-Yukon-Territory?instance=home_news_window_left_bullets


Once through that section it was a pretty easy run into Watson Lake, where I stopped at the Sign Post Forest which is on the way into town.  It was apparently started by a homesick Army guy when they were stationed in Watson Lake building the Alaska Highway back in the 1940’s, and he put up a sign about his home town.    Now there are literally thousands of signs from all over th world – So you have to stop and have a wander through them.  I like the religious area, and then someone at the top has posted “Come to the Dark Side – We have cookies !!”.  Good for a laugh, anyway !

 I then had to go back 10 miles to a campsite that would accept tents – The ones in Watson Lake are RV only.  But the one I am in is really nice, with a friendly Camp Host, and a nice warm laundry open all night so I can do my blog !!  I was pretty disconsolate at 5 pm with it bucketing down with no respite in sight, and trying to heat some soup for supper in my tent, but after an hour or so the rain cleared up, and the sun even came out, so I was able to go for a 40 minute walk around the woods nearby down to a lake (with my bear spray in my pocket !!), and then found the nice warm laundry to work in, so all worked out OK in the end.

In the morning I will head off to Fort Nelson – Some 500 kms SE.  This is a totally new road for me, so I am looking forward to what sights and adventures it may bring !!  Hopefully the rain will stay away for a change, and the animals will come out to watch me pass by !!