Saturday 9 June 2012

Anchorage to Seward


Woke up early in order to try and get on the road and hopefully find some wifi in Seward to do my blog and get email.  After freezing outside a closed Starbuck’s in Anchorage  last night, and then going to 3 different McDonald’s to try to find some wifi (2 of them closed, and one had their wifi “not working tonight, sir” !!), this morning I first went to an open Starbuck’s to get my blog out, and then went round to REI to buy a couple of spare cans of gas for my little cooker – Only to find REI didn’t open till 10 am !!  So sat outside REI for 40 minutes, and naturally ended up with about 20 people round the car chatting as we all waited for the store to open !  2 minutes after the doors opened, I was on my way south to Seward, gas cans safely stowed.



The first hour was the same road I had travelled when going down to Whittier a few days earlier – A beautiful scenic road running right beside the Turnagain Arm of the fjord.  It wasn’t as sunny and warm as last time, but at least it wasn’t raining, so I had the roof off and just enjoyed the drive.  Most of the scenic stops are on the “other” side of the road, so I will stop at them when I come north next week.  It is just such a beautiful road to drive on, with water right beside you and mountains on the far side just getting taller and taller as you drive along.  I only took a couple of pics just to remind you how good it is – if you need more, go back to the “Anchorage to Whittier” blog !!

It was a great drive down to Seward, with the usual mix of lakes, mountains, ad windy roads !!  They all merge into one  after a while !  Shortly before Seward there were some roadworks – Over here they often have a pilot vehicle to guide traffic through, so if you just miss the pilot, you have about 30 minutes to wait, which is what happened this time.  By the time the pilot vehicle arrived, black clouds had built up and shortly afterwards it started drizzling.  Luckily it didn’t get too heavy so I was able to make it into Safeways in Seward, where I stopped to buy some groceries and put the roof on.  I then went looking for a camp site, but didn’t have to look far – The whole of the Resurrection  fjord edge of town is a City camp site ! Maybe a mile end to end,  campers certainly have the pick of the real estate in this town – Maybe due to potential  tsunamis they don’t allow permanent buildings too close to the water – Seward was another town that got decimated in the 1964 earthquake and resulting tsunami.  But at $10 for tents and $15 for RV’s with good shower and toilet facilities, it has to be the bargain of the area, and certainly the best view  down the fjord of anywhere probably in the world, especially when the weather is nice.

So I pitched my tent, but then it started raining again so I ended up in my tent for the night trying to cook my supper – NOT easy !!   I ended up turning in early as there wasn’t a lot I could do.

They said it would be fine tomorrow…………………

Some pics here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/AnchorageToSeward?authkey=Gv1sRgCJazsJiDqN_NhQE#