Friday 9 March 2012

Big Sur to Laguna Seca

Nice sunny day again, even if it was still cold, so once packed up I headed off towards Monterey, following Highway 1 up the coast.  Not 5 miles from Big Sur I passed the Captain Cooper School - Don't have a clue what it was, but I had to get a photo, didn't I ?


Not a long drive, so wandered through Carmel (bit twee ?) and then Monterey, where I ended up on the pier where they sell seafood fresh off the fishing boats.  Lots of seagulls and pelicans hanging around, and in the water a pod (?) of seals just lying on their backs floating around and waving their flippers in the air ! And one playing the fool and frolicking in close by the pier.
Little restaurant on the pier had delicious looking calimari, so as it was about lunch time, I made that my main meal for the day, and sat out in the sunshine watching all the people wandering on the pier.  Very pleasant hour or two.  I then headed off to find Laguna Seca, which I thought was near Salinas, but it turned out to be just outside Monterey, so after completing a big loop, I eventually found it, and set up my camp under a tree.  Not many people at this time of year, but a group of Airstream Caravans were having a weekend get together so helped give the place a bit of life. Shower facilities not brilliant, but quite adeqate, and certainly better than at any racetrack in Australia !
I set up camp and then set off to meet Phillip Holmes who had arranged everything on track for the following day.  After a quick beer we went off to an great Mexican Restaurant and had an excellent meal before I headed back to my camp for some sleep.
Must get some kind of LED light to hang in my tent for light - Walking round with a torch in my mouth is getting old hat !!!   Doesn't taste too good either.
Laguna Seca track tomorrow !!!!!

Link here  https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/BigSurToLagunaSeca?authkey=Gv1sRgCJvRlqPF9ISN4wE#