Tuesday 6 March 2012

Car arrival in LA

Bit late posting due to local internet problems, but the ship arived inLong Beach early on Monday 5th March.  Louise, who I am staying with, kindly ran me down to Long Beach about an hour south of where they live, but about 5 minutes before we got there the shipping agent rang and said "Don't bother to go to the docks today Giles, they are still unloading" !


Well, Louise couldn't take me again the next day, so as we were nearly there, we decided to keep going and at least have a go.  When we got there, there was the vessel unloading, and a few cars all around, but no Elsie - But still exciting to see the ship safely there, especially since I had been tracking it on the internet as it journeyed around the Pacific for the past 2 months ! After a couple of phone calls. one of the wharf guys came over to the gate - Due to Homeland Security I was not allowed in - and he says he is not sure when the car will be off, although he knows there is a special Lotus on board, and is really nice and says he will do whatever he can to expedite delivery, but that we should go have some lunch, come back at 1, and he will see what he can do.
So after a quick lunch, we come back at 1, and there she is !!  Sitting all alone on the wharf, with security bollards front a rear - AND NO REAR NUMBER PLATE !!!  
Someone has stolen it !! How am I going to get a new number plate from Queensland ?  What else have they stolen ?  Oh dear !!
Some more photos of the day can be found here :- https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/ArrivalOfCarInLA?authkey=Gv1sRgCLuH88iu1P2bsAE#
After a while the guy comes over from the office and gets me in so I can sign the paperwork, which takes all of 5 minutes - A really pleasant experience.  Then they tell me that of course as I am not allowed on the wharf, I can't drive the car off....... "But hey, since it is such a special car, if you drive DIRECTLY off the wharf, it shouldn't be a problem" !!!  I like this place !!!
Anyway, go over and inspect the car, and the rear number plate is inside the car - Apparently they have to take the plates off while the vehicle is in transit, for some reason - Don't ask me why !  But no other damage at all - wheels good, bodywork good, check front clam for scraping and not one (I had just repainted it so easy to tell), and the car isn't even really very dirty.  I checked the contents of the boot box that has been locked, and all is present and correct.  Overall very impressed  with the whole process of shipping RoRo - and would happily do it again.
Went to start the car and it almost started, but just not enough juice left in the battery to get it going.  I asked if they had a jump start kit, and the guy got on the radio and a mechanic was there in 2 minutes. We jumped the car which started easily, although it took a couple of minutes before it would idle smoothly, and then I just drove it straight out the gates, handing in a pass as I went.  Outside the gates, Louise was taking all these great photos to document this exciting moment in the trip, and I pulled up and quickly took off the roof - Hey, this is California and the sun is shining - I can't be seen with the roof on !!!   That done, I took off up the road to follow Louise home, and after we had stopped for some gas (had to ship the car with just a few litres in the tank) we got on the freeway back up to Louise and Chris' lovely home in Encino where I have been so lucky to stay while I have been waiting on the car to arrive.  Thank you SO much for looking after me, I really appreciate it as it has allowed me to get over my jet lag and get everything ready for the trip.  A very BIG Thank You - You have given me a perfect start to my journey.
What a trip up the freeway !  It goes without saying that I had a big grin on my face to be back on the road again, but I wasn't ready for the degree of attention that Elsie attracted.   Lots of waves, and cameras coming out of windows to capture this unique car, right hand drive zooming up the freeway ! (The Series 1 Elise like mine was never allowed to be sold in the US due to its engine never passing the US emissions test, so mine is possibly the only example on the road in the USA)  We eventually got home without any problems.
I started trying to fit everything into the car once we got him, and then a local Elise owner, Ryan, came over to check out the car as he is hoping to drive his car up to Alaska in 2013. Great to meet another LA Elise owner before I set off.
Today (Tuesday) I have spent the day fitting everything in, and trying to work out what to pack and where.  Looks like it will all fit in no problem, and have managed to just put the light camping equipment in the boot box so that should be OK weight wise.    Just the last things to pack in the morning, and am planning on leaving here at about 9.30 am (to miss the morning rush hour) and head north up the coast on Highway 1 with the target being to get to Big Sur and camp there for 2 nights and go exploring there on Thursday, before heading up to Laguna Seca on Friday for a weekend on track there.
READY TO GO !!!!