Wednesday 28 March 2012

A day in Denver

During the LOCO meeting last night, amongst many others, I had met William Taylor, an expatriate Englisman now living in Denver, and he had kindly invited me to his house / office to see his collection of Lotus memorabilia and photographs and books that are probably second to none.  Nothing could have prepared me for my day.  After a lazy morning and a visit to Starbucks for coffee with Doug, I headed off to William's.

With Tom Tom taking me to his house with no problems on yet another sunny warm day, I was shown around. With the entire basement set up as a store for his countless motorsport magazines and books, as well as beautful photos everywhere of every kind of Lotus you can imagine and models of most cars displayed in cabinets,  he and his wife Jo run their Coterie business from here.   http://www.coteriepress.com/Browse-by-Subject/Lotus    Words are totally inadequate to describe everything, but suffice it to say that it was the most interesting and informative few hours I have spent in a very long time. Thank you SO much for allowing me to see such an incredible and treasured collection.

In chatting, William told me that Red Rocks, which is the stunning and well known outdoor concert venue set in a natural rock amphitheatre, was just up the road. I had seen a DVD of a Moody Blues concert there a few years ago, and it is the most dramatic setting you can imagine. The chance to see it while I was here was just too good an opportunity to pass up, so William and I set off in my car for a visit.  And it is spectacular to say the least.  I can only imagine what it would be like, as the sun sets behind, and the view of Denver City in the distance above the stage,  and Sting, or the Moody Blues performing live on stage.  It would be magical. And I understand that, despite its relatively small size compared to the big venues often used for concerts today, many artists request to play here due to the atmosphere and the excellent natural accoustics. Wonderful to see this unique place.

A very pleasant afternoon and evening spent with William and his family - Your hospitality was so enjoyed, and I am sorry to have landed on you at such short notice.  I cannot thank you enough for welcoming me into your lovely home.  Today has rounded off a wonderful few days in Colorado, and I have to say that I find it a great place that I won't forget in a hurry. Everyone I have met has been so friendly, and I would love to stay longer and explore further, but I need to keep moving, heading up towards Wyoming tomorrow morning.
Thank you, Colorado.

Some pics here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/RedRocks?authkey=Gv1sRgCMH3prujj53NEw#