Wednesday 7 March 2012

LA to Big Sur on PCH Hwy 1

Well today the drive started in earnest.  Left LA at 9.30 am to avoid the worst of the traffic and headed north on 101 / 1, being the very scenic coastal highway.  And what a perfect day - Cool at about 10 deg C to start with, but clear blue skies, and it reached a high of 17 deg C, but still clear blue skies.  Just perfect topless driving weather !!


And words cannot do the road justice.  Doing it at this time of year, and mid week, meant that it was virtually traffic free - Most of the cars seemed to be convertible Mustangs, and from what I could determine they were all rented  to people wanting to enjoy the ride.  Funny they all but 2 had their tops up !!!
I will just link you to the photos because they do better than any words I might write.  Suffice it to say that the really good twisty bits were SO good that I had to push it a bit, didn't I ?, and as a result no photos - I was too busy !!
https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/LAToBigSurOnPCHHwy1?authkey=Gv1sRgCKf79uXigtP8UA#
After numerous stops for photos, and occasionally to let traffic disperse, I got into the Big Sur campsite in the giant Redwood forest at 6 pm and just had time to pitch my tent down by the river before it got dark.  A couple of beers and a nice hot soup in front of a roaring fire in the log cabin facilities area while I download the photos into the blog - How good can life get ?
In some sections of the drive today it was SO fantastic that I was just shouting out at the top of my lungs as I drove.   I sincerely hope the scenery doesn't get any better over the coming weeks, otherwise I will have to think of some new way of expressing myself while driving !!
Easy day in Big Sur tomorrow, walking and exploring before up to Laguna on Friday.  Oh, and I heard today that Lotus are bringing two Evoras to the track on Saturday and Sunday for people to try - Good chance of a fang in them, I am told !!  And the weather is supposed to be spot on for the rest of the week.   Hey Ho - Someone has to do it !!