Thursday 15 March 2012

Wet San Francisco


Wet Wet Wet !!! Who says it never rains in Southern California ? (I know, I know - I am in Northern Caifornia now, but that is not what the song says !!!)  Started raining as soon as I left Laguna Seca and has now been raining for 3 days while the rest of my route out through Colorado is basking under 70 degrees and blue skies with all mountain passes currently open !! Hope it stays that way next week when I get out there.


Yesterday was so wet that apart from dressing up in waterproofs and walking round the area immediately round the motel, I hardly set foot outside, and Elsie stayed covered up in the rain outside the motel room.

But that gave me a chance to catch up on the blog and do my much needed laundry after 7 days in the tent ! Today (Thursday) was slightly better weatherwise, and Kiyoshi from the Golden Gate Lotus Club met me around lunch time and kindly took me to many of the sights around the city, despite many of the views being blocked out by the rain and fog. Such a shame because it really is a city with so much character, what with the steep hills (think Bullitt and Steve McQueen in his Mustang), amazing apartments and houses, the harbour and all the parks in the area. Never mind, after
all it is also renowned for its fog !! Then at about 7.30 pm we met up with Rahul, Daniel, Bill, Tom, and Cherie from the club for a pizza and chat about Lotii in general, and S1's in particular. And also about which roads over the Sierra mountains might be passable by the time these current storms have passed by and dumped all their snow, so I can find an acceptable way to Vegas. I guess I will be spending lot of time checking road conditions on the internet over the next couple of days. More heavy rain is actually forecast for tomorrow, but if I get the chance I will go back into the city and try and get some photos of Elsie on Lombard Street and on some of the steeper hills in the city. I wasn't in Elsie today due to the weather - Kiyoshi and I went in his (supercharged !) V8 pick up truck instead !

Anyway, will see what weather comes tomorrow, and will try and get more interesting pics to post up instead of just the Golden Gate Bridge !!