Thursday 8 March 2012

Big Sur

Non driving day in Big Sur today, hiking through the beautiful Redwood forests in the hills around the campsite.


Cold cold cold last night !  When I left the restaurant last night it was 5 deg C, and when I got up at about 7 am it was 1 deg C, so probably hit zero during the night - And it felt like it !  Ended up with jumpers on, and also a beanie on my head which cured the problem, and once that stopped me losing heat from my head, I slept pretty well !
The little stove I bought to boil water works like a charm, and coffee is excellent and canned soups and stews apparently not a problem !
And the hot showers in the campsite were a godsend - Allowed me to warm up properly !

But once the sun was up, it was a glorious day, so at 10.30 I set off to explore the local hills and forests. After a while a sign to "Buzzard's Roost" was intriguing, and despite there being no time or distance estimate on the sign, I decided to follow the trail.  Starting in the camp site, beautiful wooden cabins are dotted around, nestling in the trees, and would be great for families or larger groups, with fires and a kitchen. Wandering though the trees, the Redwood Family circles are very evident.  I single parent tree tends to drop seeds in a circle on the ground, so the younger trees grow up in a circle around the parent. (Don't ask me why the younger trees don't have their own offspring around them, but they don't !!)   Then the parent tree dies, leaving the circle, and often campsites have sites inside the circles of trees, which makes for great camping.
Then the trail up to the Buzzard's Roost headed upwards steeply, and it was an hour and a half of a steady upward climb before I finally reached the top - Where fortunately the views in all directions were stunning. and even a couple of buzzards were soaring on the thermals.  Another hour to get down, and I now feel as though I have done enough for the day - Quite stiff and sore, but feeling a lot better for the exercise.

Photos of the day here.   https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/BigSur?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLGg73mp9--Gg

Hot bowl of soup and some pasta in the restaurant, and a couple of glasses of vino, and I will shortly be off to my tent and I don't think I will have any trouble sleeping, even if it falls below zero tonght. Will have my beanie on from the start, and will wear my proper thermal underwear to bed tonight !! The self inflating mattress is great, so comfort is not the issue - Just having enough clothes on to keep warm !!

And so to Laguna Seca tomorrow, via Monterey and Carmel. Easy drive of only about 100 miles.