Sunday 25 March 2012

Zion NP to Torrey, Utah

Yes, slept like a log.  Yes, very stiff this morning !!  Ha ha. Packed up camp while having my breakfast -Had finally found some Earl Grey tea yesterday (I had left the packet I bought to bring with me in Australia !!!), and it was so nice to have instead of coffee !  It is quite a long process to fit everything into Elsie, and takes about 1 1/2 hours to complete to where I am ready to drive away - At a leisurely pace, of course !! Wanted to get moving as I had to get some miles completed today, but went through town to check email first.  While sitting outside the wifi enabled shaved ice shop, a couple came up and asked if they could take a photo - Of course they could.  Got chatting, Walter and Carol, and it turned out that had owned 3 Lotii in the past, a Europa, a Seven, and one other - I forget which.   Anyway, had a lovely long chat with them - From Illinois ?? Woops, forgot to write it down.   Anyway, fun start to the day.


Set off at last, and the road out to the east actually goes out of Zion NP through a mile long tunnel.  So before I had even rubbed the sleep out of my eyes or got my Eskimo music tuned in on my iPod, I am into the most amazing zig zag climb up the cliffs of Zion NP to reach the tunnel entrance.   Had to stop to wait for a big coach to come the other way (too narrow for 2 way with big vehicles), and got chattig to the guy before about such an incredible start to the day !  I know, he said, I have a 'Vette and have been enviously watching you romping away from me up through the turns !!  It should be illegal to have this much fun so early in the morning !!!
Through the tunnel, with a few second gear runs and Eliseparts airhorn toots just because it makes a nice noise, and because I felt like it, and because I can, and then out the other side into the MOST AMAZING rock formations and twisty roads.   Once again, you just run out of superlatives and photos just don't do the colours or the amazing patterns and colours justice.  But it was just magical driving, and the beauty of doing it at this time of year is that there is almost no one here !! Roads are empty, campsites are empty - And the people who are here are those that really enjoy it and often come back repeatedly and know the area well.
Todays drive was interesting because after so many amazing rock formations, it was really nice to suddenly change to open countryside with lots of trees - The Dixie National Forest. I was on Utah Hwy 12 Scenic Route most of the day.    I noticed that although the water temp on the dash was staying constant, as was the oil pressure, the oil temp was higher than I normally see it when motoring steadily at about 60 mph/ 100 kmh, and when I saw my first altitude marker, I realise why - 6000 feet !   With the Zion Valley at only about 1000 ft, we had been climbing steadily all the way - The little engine had been working hard  !!  I got my pocket altimeter out after that and kept an eye on it, and we never went below 2000 metres again all day until we dropped into Torrey.   9700 feet on one pass, and 9990 ft on another.  Just incredible views all the way, one minute a canyon, the next minute climbing up a mountain, then a flat bit on a plateau where you could see for miles and miles and miles.  I never felt sleepy or tired all day because there are just so many amazing things to look at !   Once again, I put all the photos up becase only by skimming through them quickly can you get a bit of an appreciation of what I had to put up with all day !!!  I won't say WOW again, but it really was, well, WOW !!!
With snow / rain being forecast, and a lot of miles to do tomorrow to get to (or near to) Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak, I decided to motel it tonight so I could catch up on my blog and email, have a hot shower after 3 days of no showers in Zion, and catch up on my laundry (linked to the no showers bit !).  I did actually go to a camp site in Torrey first, but they do not open until April 1st, and so I decided on a local motel with all the facilities I needed including a laundromat on site, and here I am.   Will thus be able to (hopefully) make an early start in the morning as no tent or sleeping bag to pack up.

While unloading I got chatting to several people who had been up to Alaska and had advice on road conditions I could expect. One lady this morning back at the tunnel out of Zion NP had seriously advised me that I needed at least 4 spare wheels if I was going to reach Alaska. Nothing I could say about me having 2 different wheel sizes would convince her otherwise, and she was telling me I should bolt them to the roof (what roof ?!) or the bonnet, or even the sides of the car, but I MUST carry at least 4 spare wheels somehow !!   Rofl.
Tonight at the motel I met Bill and Terry from St Maries in Idaho, and they gave me lots of ideas of possible routes when I come back west towards Portland and Seattle.  I knew I would meet helpful people along the way, but I never expected to meet this many, nor that they would all be so helpful.  Thank you to all of you if you are reading this - You make my whole trip so much more special.
And if you want to sign up as a Friend, and even leave comments on some of the pics or comments, I love to read them and see who has been on here !!  Makes it more 2 way and friendly.

So, laundry is all done and smelling sweet again, as am I after a hot shower, and I shall have another one in the morning !   And it will be nice to get up out of bed in the morning and not have to climb up off the ground !!! I am increasingly stiff from my Angels Landing efforts, so the extra 2 ft start will be very welcome !!

Photos of the day here.  https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/ZionNPToTorreyUtah?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSS0ovGnZ_SpAE#