Saturday 24 March 2012

Las Vegas to Zion NP

Missed a couple of days because I found Las Vegas pretty seedy, sordid, OTT, and generally depressing, so I took no photos and had nothing to say about it. Seemed a cross between the touristy heart of Surfers Paradise and modern Dubai, times about 50 !!  And the fact the one of the few tent camp sites was not only in a VERY seedy area of town, but also next to a military airbase which had jet fighters and bombers flying in and out all through the night (yes non stop) was enough to make me pack up the earliest I could on the 20th and head out of town.   And as soon as I did, I was much happier !


I had arrived in Vegas quite late on the Thursday, and was in contact with several embers of the Lotus Club there.  We eventually agreed to meet for lunch on Friday, and I met Cory and Doug, who both came in their immaculate Esprits.   It seems there are mostly Esprits in the Las Vegas Lotus Club, and that the Elise crowd to a large extent do not participate.  During lunch Jeff came straight from the airport and a business trip and joined us, and we later went over to his place (almost opposite the estaurant) for a beer and a chat.  Jeff also has a beautiful V8 Esprits - among other toys !!  It was really good meeting you all, guys - Thanks for the hospitality and the Lotus book - Sorry I didn't enjoy Las Vegas more !!!

So from Vegas the guys had suggested following a smaller road that runs around the N edge of Lake Mead (of Hoover dam connection), and after a slight detour down to Hoover Dam because I got lost, I eventually got on the right road - and they were correct - And excellent winding road with a great surface.  Played for a while with a Ferrari but he was more interested in his passenger than in me so I gave him a cheeky wave and disappeared ahead. Then found a big bike that once I had passed him was happy to sit on my back bumper at the speed limit of 55 on the straight bits, but whenever we found some curves, he enjoyed them as much as I did and stuck with me. 

Once back on the I5 freeway it was pretty good because we had the Virgin River Canyon to go through in the small corner of Arizona we crossed, and that was back to the old "smile a minute" driving I am rapidly getting used to over here !!  Then down out of the hills into St George where I went to McDonalds for lunch and wifi, and gas before going into Zion National Park.   Just out of St George I was straight into the mountains and it just got more and more spectacular.  This really is an amazing part of the world.  You will probably find too many photos, so just zoom through them, but I really haven't got the time to spend picking out good from bad - Apologies.

Anyway rolled into Zion NP, showed my Annual Pass to save me another $25 entry fee (this is my 4th NP, so now in credit !!), and it is STUNNING.  The little village of Springdale next to the campsite is really lovely, with just restaurants and motels and little coffee shops - A little bit like a little quiet ski resort.  Free wifi 24 and 7 outside the coffee shop, even when they are closed, so it is quite a social gathering out there in the mornings and evenings !!   The camp site is perfect, down by the river, and as usual all sorts of people coming over to chat about things.  Steep cliffs on both sides of the valley, and I am looking forward to waking up, unzipping the tent, and seeing what it looks like in the dawn light.  In the meantime a quick chicken noodle stew on my brilliant little camp stove, cup of hot chocolate, and into bed as it got dark.  This truly is the life - I love it.  Maybe next time in something slightly larger than Elsie, but for this trip, it is just perfect as it is.

Pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/LasVegasAndToZionNP?authkey=Gv1sRgCNXq-vu9gpnUVg#