Thursday 1 March 2012

In L.A.

Well here we are in LA, and everything going accordng to plan - Apart from the fact that Elsie doesn't arrive till Monday 5th. 

Arrived here on 28th, and spent 28th and 29th buying all my gear.  Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, waterproof warm jacket, thermal vest, warm socks, windproof and warm ski-type pants for driving in, a little gas stove for boiling water, etc. so now have everything I need.  I feel like a major expedition base with all my gear stacked around the bedroom where I am staying, waiting for the car to arrive so it can be packed !  Perhaps I had better try sleeping on the floor in my sleeping bag to get a taste for it ?
Spent today at Customs and Border Protection (!) in Long Beach, and despite lunch breaks and an officer saying he wanted different signatures on a couple of bits of paper, finally got it all stamped and approved before they closed at 4 pm, so now I just have to go to the docks in Long Beach on Monday and pick up Elsie !!  Fingers crossed.  Then I can get on the road at last !
Still snowing in Colorado Springs today (0 max, minus 9 min !!) , but warming up to 18 deg C this week, although still about 0 at night.  But certainly looking more promising than it did last week.
Talking to lots of US Elise people around the US - Looks like I will get my first run with the local LA boys this Saturday with an EMR and lunch planned in the hills. 
Starting to feel like the adventure is starting at last !!!